Housing Advice - Rent & Payments during COVID-19

Housing Advice - Rent & Payments during COVID-19

by Leanne Kindley -
Number of replies: 0

Are you worried about rent, housing, payments? Here is some useful information..

Rent Payment Problems - I'm worried about rent arrears, what should I do?

• Speak to your landlord if you're struggling to pay rent, they could be sympathetic - especially if you have lost you're job or have a reduced income
  • They might agree a rent reduction or accept late payments - anything that is agreed, get it in writing!
  • Find out more about how to deal with rent arrears 

Can my landlord evict me straight away because of Coronavirus?

• It's illegal for your landlord to evict you without following the proper steps
  • Illegal eviction is a criminal offence - coronavirus doesn't change this.
  • It's likely to be an illegal eviction if your landlord
    - makes you leave without notice or a court order
    - locks you out of your home, even temporarily

You can get help from the council or court if your landlord prevents you accessing your home.

Can I leave my tenancy early?
You can only end a fixed term tenancy early if either:

• your contract has a break clause
  • you negotiate an early end to the agreement with your landlord
  • If you want to leave as soon as possible you'll probably have to negotiate. Your landlord may be sympathetic to your request to leave if they understand your reasons. For example, if you need to move urgently because you or a family member are sick or need support.
Read more about ending a fixed term tenancy agreement or what happens if you don't end your tenancy legally.

What if i need to move home during the lock down period?
The government's stay at home guidance makes it clear that people should stay in their homes for the next 3 weeks except in very limited circumstances. 
The guidance has more information for homeowners who were due to move.

If you're renting privately and planned to move during this time, you'll probably need to:

• postpone the move
  • negotiate with both your old and new landlord regarding the start and end dates of both tenancies

For example, if you've already signed a tenancy agreement, you could negotiate a new start date so you don't have to start paying rent before you can move. Your current tenancy will usually continue as a periodic tenancy if your fixed term contract ends as long as you still live there. Landlords, agents and tenants will need to work together and show goodwill in order to comply with the public health guidance over the coming weeks.

The government have provided a COVID-19 Guidance for Landlord & Tenants.

If you have any questions or are struggling then contact expert housing advisers either online, or by calling the free national emergency helpline or your local service team.
Shelter - Manchester. For advice or guidance, call 0344 515 1640 between the hours of 9:00am – 5:00pm, Monday to Friday.

Applying for Universal Credit
- See here on what universal credit is and how to apply
- How to claim universal credit 

What help is available from benefits if if I am affected by coronavirus?
If your income has changed or you need to self-isolate due to coronavirus – whether you have the illness yourself or you need to care for someone else as a result – the benefits that may be available to you depend on your situation. Use this link to see whether you are entitled to any benefits. Use the benefits calculator to see whether you are eligible for any other support.

Some useful information: 
Coronavirus - Paying rent article 
Government advice on move homes during the coronavirus outbreak
Housing Advice - Shelter 

Unfortunately Futureworks does not provide a halls of residence therefore contracts with student accommodation is with a private / third party (I.e not with the university). Therefore we have no authority on their decisions, you are advised to speak with your independent accommodation provider to see if there may be any flexibility on payments given this extraordinary situation. 

See below for student accommodation Coronavirus statements:
Mears - Coronavirus 
Unite - Coronavirus
X1 - Coronavirus

Contact support@futureworks.ac.uk if you have any questions.