ADHD Awareness Month (October 2020)

ADHD Awareness Month (October 2020)

by Leanne Kindley -
Number of replies: 0

ADHD Awareness Month - Photos | Facebook
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a neurodevelopmental disorder affecting both children and adults around the world.

ADHD Awareness Month is celebrated every October, with events and activities happening all across the country capturing the notice of numerous national, regional and local media outlets resulting in articles, interviews and feature stories.

ADHD in Adults 
ADHD in Teens
ADHD in Women
Parenting Children with ADHD

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a condition that affects people's behaviour. People with ADHD can seem restless, may have trouble concentrating and may act on impulse. The symptoms of ADHD are inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity. ADHD is diagnosed when these symptoms make your life considerably more difficult on a social, academic or occupational level, although the presentation of ADHD is very variable, with different people affected in different ways.

Symptoms of ADHD tend to be noticed at an early age and may become more noticeable when a child's circumstances change, such as when they start school. Most cases are diagnosed when children are 6 to 12 years old.

The symptoms of ADHD usually improve with age, but many adults who were diagnosed with the condition at a young age continue to experience problems.

People with ADHD may also have additional problems, such as sleep and anxiety disorders. For mental health support click here

Signs & Symptoms
ADHD can be categorised by three areas – attention, hyperactivity and impulsivity.  Someone with ADHD may show a number of symptoms in one or more of these areas – for example they may:

• lack attention to details and make careless mistakes 
  • have trouble finishing work or school projects 
  • experience difficulty in paying attention and easily distracted 
  • always be 'on the go'
  • be impatient 
  • be overactive and/or exhibit impulsive behaviour.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Videos - Stories

A frame-by-frame animation project that tells of the struggles and challenges faced as a university student with ADHD.

My Hyper Brain
A day in the lift of my hyper brain

You can find more awareness videos here

The best way to change people’s views about ADHD is to let them read stories by real people. Click here to read.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADHD Art
Beyond the Fog
To go beyond the fog of one’s own mind into clarity is a rare occurrence, but once there, the beauty found is nothing short of remarkable.

Dancing Doodle
A piece I made while in a state of flow, or hyper-focus, capturing my essence of mind during a hyperactive spell.

A glimpse inside
Ive been dealing with ADHD for my entire life. Many people dont understand it or make light of it. This is “A Glimpse inside my mind”. Chaos, frustration & Beauty

Useful Resources

Understanding ADHD in Adults
Becoming an Adult with ADHD - what to expect 
Self-help ADHD
ADHD in the workplace
Do you show signs of adult ADHD?
Living with ADHD
Supporting your child with ADHD
Stop & Think - A guide for young people with ADHD

ADHD Foundation
The ADHD Foundation Neurodiversity Charity is an integrated health and education service offering a unique lifespan - strength based service, for the 1 in 5 people who live with ADHD, Autism, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia and Tourette’s syndrome.

Addup
addup was set up to bring families together, to guide parents in the right direction to find the practical help they need for their children and to promote both public and professional awareness of ADHD.

The National Attention Deficit Disorder Information & Support Service 
Supporting the ADHD community everywhere – based in Manchester

ADHD Voices 
Liverpool Adult ADHD / Aspergers meet up